Thursday, September 06, 2007

First Impressions

Why is it that men - young and old - rush to declare their social status to me? And No! I don't look that desperate! Seriously! I just need to have a conversation with someone twice and I'll know all about it - whether they are married, whether their wife stays with them, how many children they have, etc. The puzzling thing is that I don't seek this information at all. I would be having a completely innocent, work-related conversation and in the pauses, these tidbits are thrown my way. Interestingly, the single men also have this annoying habit, even though they appear to forget to provide any information about their girlfriends or fiancée. Do the men think that it is their duty to warn a single colleague about her chances? :P It's as amusing as it is irritating!

Hmm... Work's begun and it is hectic. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew. With work, french classes and gym (yes, a soon-to-be-reality), I think I am going to be kept on my toes in Geneva.

People, here, are often surprised that I speak such fluent English without a trace of an "Indian" accent(?). Hence, apart from the usual questions of "Are you Spanish or Mexican?" (I'll attribute that to my hair colour) and "Vous parlez Espanöl?", I am now getting used to "Have you ever stayed in UK? Probably studied there?" There is a genuine look of disbelief when I say that I did my complete schooling, etc in India. Inevitably, the next question is, "Is that school amongst the best?" :P I don't know how they'll react when they actually get to India and realise that there are many more like me. I guess I should thank NPS for whatever it gave me, but more credit goes to my sister who made me practise and corrected my usage of the language - and she was at it ALL the time! :)

It's time to go and forage in my fridge for some dinner. I'll leave you with a trivia: The shade of foundation best suited to my skin tone is called Caramel Toffee ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Funnily enough, I have the same issue - from the other direction. Why is it that most women I converse with only want to discuss why I'm single?! From aunties to the wives of my mates, they all seem to be under the impression that I'm desperately lonely (whether that is true or not is an entirely different matter :P). And they feel the need to mother over me and try to fix things. Goddamit! I'm 27... let me be! Stop asking me about when I'm getting married. Stop insinuating that I'm growing old and all the "good ones" will be taken. Stop trying to hook me up with your uncle's father's second cousin's son-in-law's daughter!

PS - With my incredibly bad haircut and false-ocker accent, people around here assume that I grew up in Oz. And then I have to do an impression of Apu (from the Simpsons) to assure them that I really did grow up in India and have only been here for the past 4 years :)

Ritu said...

Hahaha... Seems like it is a conspiracy by the Married-folks to increase their "number". Besides, I suspect they can't bear to see us singles having so much fun(?!). :P So, put your war-paint on, Soldier and resist them! :D